Associate Verbal Director
Wolff Olins has always been ambitious for the work and optimistic for the world, pushing what’s possible, exploring new ways of doing things, and using our creativity to make a difference. Within the WO strategy community, we develop transformative strategies that move businesses, people, and the world forward.
As Associate Verbal Director, you will help lead the agency’s storytelling engine. You will work with Strategy and Design teams to define the big ideas that transform brands. You will be responsible for helping brands bring to life who they are through every word they speak: partnering with clients to help them find their voice and tell their stories, shape how they’re positioned, and create content to communicate their messages—from manifestos and film scripts to website copy and product experiences.
This new role at WONY will play a significant part in helping expand the agency’s verbal identity practice. As an experienced verbal identity developer, you have the expertise and vision to support the Verbal Director in leading the verbal practice, as well as the background and talent to craft compelling copy. As a true “player/coach”, you’ll be responsible for both strategically leading the verbal side of brand identity work streams and for crafting the deliverables that bring our brand ideas to life—sometimes on the same project.
We expect our Associate Verbal Director to drive the work by mastering their craft, solving complex problems, collaborating across communities, and reinforcing the power of the written word to drive better customer and stakeholder experiences of brands, products, organizations, and services.
You are responsible for:
- Further developing the verbal identity offer at Wolff Olins
- Leading the creation of verbal identity deliverables including brand voice, voice principles, playbooks, naming and messaging frameworks
- Working closely with design and strategy leads to add a strong verbal dimension to our creative output
- Bringing brand strategy to life in creative ways, e.g. writing a manifesto, articulating the brand's personality, and creating stories around the brand
- Developing creative ideas and territories to life that help clients see the potential of brand directions
- Crafting messaging themes and key messages that pay off brand strategy
- Supporting naming work and generating names for brands, products, services, initiatives, etc.
- Writing copy for a variety of touch points e.g. web, promotional material, social media, or internal team comms
You should be:
- An experienced verbal identity writer, with background across multiple business categories and project scopes
- An inventive, original thinker with a talent for words
- Able to write different types of creative copy (long, short, headlines, stories) for a wide range of audiences and purposes
- Highly collaborative, able to work well with designers, strategists and engagement managers
- Keen to understand the bigger picture of our clients and their worlds [including business strategy, customer/consumer insights, client dynamics]
- Articulate and persuasive in presenting your work in client meetings and pitches
- Create impact: Recognized as a change-maker, you have the ability to cut-through—you’re able to get to the heart of an idea, the crux of an insight and the core of a problem. In-person or in writing, you should be persuasive and articulate, helping people to see things in a new way allowing them to make leaps and break political impasses. You should be confident when challenging your team and looking to negotiate the best course of action.
- Build long-lasting relationships: you enjoy expanding your network and quickly establish rapport with clients and your team. You should have relentless, infectious positive energy that others feed on.
- Lead with purpose: you are interested in empowering, motivating, nurturing and inspiring others, and offer support to ensure they succeed.
- Be driven to deliver excellence: You are here to do the best work of your life.
- Ambitious for yourself, our people and clients, you place a strong emphasis on achieving outstanding results. You have energy others feed off and are good at ensuring things happen. You are curious for what’s possible, hungry for impact, and have the ability to proactively identify and seize business opportunities. You always seek to push the work further.
Our focus on people and the world:
Wolff Olins believes in creating an environment where people can bring their whole selves to work. We are interested in our people having diverse points of view and different perspectives on the world. We set out to equip our people with the knowledge, confidence and tools to do the best work of their lives. Our purpose is to help our people create transformative brands that push businesses, people and the world forward.